Thursday, February 19, 2009

Me and the Doctor: A Love Story

I don't often write much about Dr. Dad. Probably because he doesn't have any cute milestones to report like losing teeth or trying rice cereal for the first time.

However, this little meme has been making the rounds and I thought I would answer it here, just for fun...

What are your middle names?
Mine is Rae, his is Allen

How long have you been together?
15 years this August (!!!!) Dated 2 years, engaged 1 1/2 years, married almost 12 years!

How long did you know each other before you started dating?
About a year...I liked him right away but he was insistent on dating someone else. So we were "just friends." See how well that worked out.

Who asked whom out?
Actually, two friends of ours had tickets to our formal in college but they couldn't go. They knew I had a crush on Dr. Dad and decided to tell him he could have the tickets if he took me. It wasn't so much a date as an obligation.

How old are each of you?
I am 35, he is 36

Whose siblings do you see the most
His...my sweet sister keeps moving farther and farther away from me (is she trying to tell me something?).

Which situation is the hardest on you as a couple?
Letting things that bother us go on without dealing with it. We both avoid conflict and so we just let it build and then it all boils over.

Did you go to the same school?
Same college...it's where we met.

Are you from the same home town?
No, but strangely enough, I am from the same town as my brother-in-law.

Who is smarter?
Ummm, who is the Dr. here? Baby Girl calls him Professor Man. But let it be known that she calls me The Boss.

Who is the most sensitive?
Maybe a tie...but I am the most likely to have a mood swing...

Where do you eat out most as a couple?

Sadly, we usually go out with kids in tow so it's often some Random Mexican Restaurant or Chipotle. Anywhere cheap.

Where is the farthest you two have traveled together as a couple?
London and Paris for our Honeymoon.

Who has the craziest exes?
Neither? I did briefly date a small town drug dealer, but that was by accident...

Who has the worst temper?
Totally me on this one. See mood swings from previous response.

Who does the cooking?
I do. However, Dr. Dad can hold his own in the kitchen.

Who is the neat-freak?
Clearly you have never been to our home. We need to hire a neat-freak.

Who is more stubborn?
What? I am NEVER stubborn. NEVER.

Who hogs the bed?

We got the King Size Bed to solve this issue. Mostly its the other things that end up in the bed that are the problem. Dog. Cat. Small Children.

Who wakes up earlier?
Me. He would sleep all day if he could.

Where was your first date?

At our Service Fraternity's Formal. A place called the Linck Inn. He spent most of the drive home after the dance trying to talk himself out of dating me (he did this out loud, by the way) because we had the same group of friends and he didn't want it to be awkward if it didn't work out. The Inn was also the place we had dinner the night he proposed almost exactly 2 years later. Guess it worked out, Mr. Analytical!

Who is more jealous?
Neither. Complete trust is one of the best parts of our marriage.

How long did it take to get serious?

Considering he thought it might be a good idea to not tell anyone we were dating until "we saw how things were going" I always felt I was more serious about him first. I definitely think I said the "L" word first. But I think we both knew we would get married. We were just both too weird for anyone else. Ha.

Who eats more?

Can this be a tie? He probably can eat more, but I usually feel like I do!

Who does the laundry?
Me. Can we still hire the neat-freak to come and fold it and put it away?

Who’s better with the computer?

I think I am. I am definitely the better typist. Maybe he is better on technical things? Put it this way: we can both waste time equally well browsing YouTube and filling out these questionnaires.

Who drives when you are together?
Ok, I was actually wondering about this the other day. For the majority of our first years dating Dr. Dad did not have a car. He lived on campus and I was the one who drove us around and picked him up. He had to borrow my car to drive us the night he proposed. However, since he got wheels, he does the majority of the driving. I don't think it's a power thing, maybe just habit.

Ok...so that's it. So exciting. I still love you Dr. Dad. Glad all our friends know now!

No comments: