Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dance!

So we survived another recital. For all the complaining I do about the money and time and semi-dictator-type rules I am quickly realizing why we come back year after year.

Not only does Baby Girl love to dance, I love to WATCH her dance.

Probably a part of me fondly remembering my own dance recital days...I loved the performing and costumes and make-up and getting flowers.

Through the whole week of rehearsals that went until 8:30 at night and recitals that lasted 3 hours and spending most of that recital time "back stage" in the high school cafeteria, Baby Girl never complained. Never said she didn't want to do it. Most of the time was spent prancing around and admiring herself and having a good time.

When she steps on that stage you can see the joy in her face. She smiles from ear to ear. She is never nervous. It makes me happy just to see her do something she so obviously likes to do.

I sometimes get to know the other mothers during the year while we sit in the lobby of the studio. Many of them won't be back next year. They list all the reasons I have already complained about (money, costumes, crazy time commitments) and I don't blame them at all. But most of the time they also admit their daughter just didn't like it. Didn't like the dancing and the practicing and the performing. But I have a daughter who loves all that. So I will bring her back in the fall. I already registered her for Pre-Cecchetti II (do I sound pretentious yet?).

So I continue with my love-hate relationship with the studio. Maybe it's my thing. I complain endlessly about it and then sign her up for another year.

So I can see more of my daughter, happy like this.

No comments: