Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Merry Belated Christmas

Well, I never wrote anything about our Christmas. It came in a rush and left in a rush and I, once again, have no idea how that happens. I make lists, I make plans, I vow to enjoy and relax and inevitably I enter January feeling like I just witnessed a blur.

Baby Boy got his first taste of our crazy Christmas traditions. It was a big difference from Baby Girl's first Christmas, when we were house bound due to her prematurity and RSV season. We managed to see all our family and travel around and open gifts and eat (and eat!) and he did great.

Every year, though, I get a little nostalgic when I think about the Christmas traditions we used to have when I was a child. Of course, I realize that families change and grow and what we do now is create those happy traditions for our children. The memories I have of spending Christmas Eve with my grandparents and aunts and uncles are how my kids will remember Christmas with our parents and siblings. I can only hope they remember their childhood Christmas with as much fondness, and not as a blur with mommy yelling bad things at the tape dispenser when it gunks up during gift wrapping.

Baby Girl got a dollhouse, and NOT a Wii, despite her endless campaign. She really didn't seem to mind, though. Baby Boy got some diapers. He also didn't seem to mind. There were many other gifts including a fabulous new wallet and laptop case to me from Dr. Dad (despite our no gift pledge) and I was very surprised. We are very blessed.

This was also the year Dr. Dad and Baby Girl went to get a live tree and the weather was so bad they just went to Lowe's. Except, when the brought the tree in, it was missing a top. It looked like an artificial tree, and for a moment I thought maybe you had to just insert the top. I even asked Dr. Dad if it might be in the garage. Poor guy had to bundle up the tree, drive back to Lowe's and get a new one. The top had apparently come off when they were netting it for the car. Thankfully we got a discount.

Everything has been packed away and we are settling back into a routine. As usual, we had a green Christmas and are now having a VERY white January.

Time to start planning for Christmas 2009!

No comments: