Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Miracle

Baby Girl wearing her Daddy's Wedding Ring

Once again we are coming upon Spring. The days here have been unseasonably warm and I can feel my spirits rise with the temperature.

This is also the time of year I start campaigning for the March of Dimes. Throughout the year, I participate in other causes and walks, but this walk is the most important to me.

7 years ago I was pregnant with Baby Girl. I was due in December, and thought everything would go the way most pregnancies do: 9 months and then the birth of a beautiful, healthy baby.

October of 2002, I learned how my pregnancy would really go: extreme high blood pressure, hospitalization at 27 weeks, preeclampsia, delivery at 28 weeks and 5 days, 7 weeks in NICU.

I knew very little (if anything) about prematurity. I certainly couldn't think of anyone I knew that had a pregnancy like mine. We had a lot to learn.

We know just how blessed we are for the health of our daughter. That she has no disabilities as a result of her early birth is a miracle. I have since met others whose children were born even earlier, and the outcomes are not always the same. It is a humbling experience to meet these families.

We walk every year in honor of our daughter. In honor of our son. In honor of every baby who is born. In memory of every baby lost.

I know this year has been particularly hard on everyone financially. If you are able to give, even $5.00, it would be so appreciated.

You can click on the link at the right to take you to our March of Dimes web page.

Thank you for reading this, for helping in any way you can, and for celebrating every baby.

Every miracle.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Oh my goodness! I remember that like it was yesterday...you came in to get your haircut and I thought, "wait, wasn't she pregnant? what happened?" and I remember tearing up as you told me about her and how tiny she was...I'm so glad to see her healthy now! :-)